Let's check that you're eligible to join
There are two different types of health funds in Australia – unrestricted funds that anyone can join, and ‘restricted’ membership funds that require special eligibility to join.
rt is a restricted membership health fund. We exist specifically to provide health cover to transport and electricity industry employees and their families.
You may be eligible to join either in your own right, or through an eligible family member, even if your eligible family member is not an rt member. The criteria is pretty straightforward – if you can answer 'yes' to any of the below, then you're able to join. It's as easy as that.
You are eligible to join in your own right if you are a current or former employee of a:
- government or privately operated land, sea or air transport company
- government entity charged with administering the land, sea or air transport industries
- an employee of a government or privately operated energy generation and delivery entity including supply of electricity, gas, oil, petrol, coal, nuclear or renewable energy
- contract company where you are, or were, employed to provide services to an organisation described in 1, 2 or 3 above
- if you are a current or former member of Railways Credit Union Limited.
You are eligible to join through a family relationship if you are related to someone who fits any of the above criteria, whether they are an rt member or not. You must be the eligible person's:
- Brother or sister
- Brother or sister-in-law
- Partner/former partner (spouse or de facto)
- Child (natural, adopted or foster child)
- Son or daughter-in-law
- Niece or nephew*
*In the case of stepchildren, nieces and nephews, to be eligible you must be under the age of 21, or between the ages of 21 and 25, not married or living in a de facto relationship, and studying full-time.
Just tick the box on your application form to let us know which of these applies to you. Once your eligibility to join rt has been established it remains in place for life, even if you lose your original links with the transport or energy industries.
Try us out, risk free
We understand that deciding to join a health fund for the first time, or switching over from your current fund, is a big step. We want to make it easy for you, so once you join we’ll give you 30 days to try us risk free. If you change your mind within the first 30 days, and you haven’t yet made a claim, we’ll refund your money.
Ready to join us?
It’s easy to join rt health fund, and if you’re switching from another health fund we’ll even deal with them for you. To join, simply:
If you'd like to talk to someone who can help you decide which of our covers is best for you and answer any questions you have about how it all works, give our member care team a call on 1300 56 46 46 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to having you on board!